[ale] Bonding and balance-alb mode

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 13:58:06 EDT 2015

On Wed, 2015-09-30 at 13:33 -0400, James Sumners wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 1:15 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > For incoming balance doesn't there have to be a shared MAC between
> > the multiple interfaces? Otherwise, the upstream routers will send
> > to the first connected interface.
> Isn't that the MAC of the bond interface? I have a made up one
> assigned to that. In fact, that MAC is currently on the bond
> interface and the em2 interface (the one receiving all of the
> traffic). The em2 interface is not configured to use the made up one.
I'm assuming you mean the em1 (or whatever the second one) is not using
the fake MAC. That is likely the cause of incoming only on em2.
I've not done balance-alb since I got mode4 capable switches so I'm
pretty rusty.  I have a vague memory of a bond failing to make because
one of the nics didn't support MAC changing.

> > --
> James Sumners
> http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)
> http://jrfom.com/ (personal site)