[ale] Xfinity Modem -- lease or buy recoomendations

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue Sep 29 18:39:18 EDT 2015

On 09/29/2015 02:36 PM, Byron Jeff wrote:
> I'm getting there. Started off with DVR, 3 satellite STB, and wireless eMTA
> internet gateway.

I started with everything they sold - finally saw the $160/month bill
and freaked out - that's $2K/yr!!!!!

Started reducing ...

$120 --> $80 --> $50 --> $30 --> $0.  (Company was paying for the ISP).
When Comcast started encrypting local channels, that was the last straw.
They'd broken my TiVo, Cable-ready TVs, VCRs, and QAM PCI cards.

Decided that 2 antennas in the attic and Amazon Prime for $10/month was
cheaper. After 18 months, added Netflix DVD and I've been working
through old TV/Movies for almost a year.  Still vastly cheaper than
CATV.   If I needed Sports - there's online streaming for $20/month - no
contract.  All of that is cheaper than CATV packages.  Run the numbers.

I'm about to switch from Business Class Comcast to Residential with
CATV. Together the internet+CATV package is cheaper. Don't plan to hook
up the CATV box at all. Don't want it. It is a gateway drug and I'm
tired of commercials.

Need to move some services out of the house before I can make the change
- Being able to run 40 low-bandwidth VMs here really did make sense. Now
I only need 2 public-facing things, so a single $5/month VPS should be
fine.  When all done, should save $600/yr from what I'm paying today.