[ale] [OT] So, how's the job market down there?

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 15:21:20 EDT 2015

We have really good success with positions here, but depending on the discipline you may be an SME in, you could see wide variance in salary.

Linux guys on the “early end” of their careers are in that 60-90 range DoE.  Once you move to “Senior” or “Architect” level, you’re seeing 90’s-110/120’s.  Specializations which require a ton of knowhow and integration abilities (DEVOPS & Automation) can, given the requirements of the position, stretch all the way up to 150, if you can find them.

We recently went looking for DEVOPS people… posted right here on this list… and got very few nibbles that had those abilities at the level needed.  PLENTY highly competent Linux, but this one is a step above.

All told, I get hit personally for positions between 6 & 10 times a week on LinkedIn for Atlanta and maybe 20-30/week through recruiters, spammers, etc.  (I call most recruiters spammers because a keyword search and a mail merge doth not a recruiter make)

Atlanta is a great place to live, and definitely cheaper than DC, Chicago, DFW, LA, and OH MY GOD Silicon Valley while making the same money.

Jerald Sheets
questy at gmail.com