[ale] Xfinity Modem -- lease or buy recoomendations

H P Ladds householdwords at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 14:52:31 EDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 2:36 PM, Byron Jeff <byronjeff at clayton.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 01:04:31PM -0400, H P Ladds wrote:
> >    On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 1:27 PM, Jeremy T. Bouse
> >    <[1]jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net> wrote:
> >
> >      Xfinity doesn't own any of the equipment in my
> >      house except the 2 CableCARDs in the back of my TiVo units.
> >
> >    Ba ha ha ha
>
> I'm getting there. Started off with DVR, 3 satellite STB, and wireless eMTA
> internet gateway.
>
> The STB are flaky and expensive ($10 a month rental). Promptly ditched 2 of
> them replacing with 2 HDHOMERUN Primes giving 6 tuners that MythTV can
> record.

MythTV was my gateway drug to Linux and OS geekishness. I finally gave-up
on it when:

(1) It was thought that the cablecard was going to be the death of MythTV.

(2) My pcHDTV / FX5200 cards kept screwing up somehow. (In retrospect, I
believe the problem was some sort of IRQ shuffling on reboot.)

(3) My wife thought the TIVO worked better -- which it did.