[ale] Xfinity Modem -- lease or buy recoomendations

Byron Jeff byronjeff at clayton.edu
Tue Sep 29 14:36:00 EDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 01:04:31PM -0400, H P Ladds wrote:
>    On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 1:27 PM, Jeremy T. Bouse
>    <[1]jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net> wrote:
>
>      Xfinity doesn't own any of the equipment in my
>      house except the 2 CableCARDs in the back of my TiVo units.
>
>    Ba ha ha ha

I'm getting there. Started off with DVR, 3 satellite STB, and wireless eMTA
internet gateway.

The STB are flaky and expensive ($10 a month rental). Promptly ditched 2 of
them replacing with 2 HDHOMERUN Primes giving 6 tuners that MythTV can
record.

As I said before the integrated wireless is pretty bad too. Swapped out
with a TM822G and a T-Link Archer C5 AC1200 triple antenna wireless router.
Both in total cost me less than 1 year's rental on the wireless gateway.

So I still have the DVR, as a part of my deal, and 1 extra STB that I'm
still trying to figure out how to control with LIRC so that I can use it to
start recording premium content using the older Hauppauge HDPVR 1212 that I
bought a while ago.

I can't drop the triple play until my intro deal runs out and I collect the
$300 gift card signup bonus. Then I'll kick the phone to the curb and
switch back to Callcentric fronted by the permanent number under Google
Voice. Callcentric is better because it allows you to set the outgoing
CallerID and map numbers to favorite incoming callerID. For $4.50 a month
including E911 service, not too bad.

BAJ

> References
>
>    1. mailto:jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net

Byron A. Jeff
Associate Professor: Department of Computer Science and Information Technology
College of Information and Mathematical Sciences
Clayton State University
http://faculty.clayton.edu/bjeff