[ale] Postgreq backup help

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Mon Sep 28 11:51:02 EDT 2015

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 11:31:54AM -0400, Phil Turmel wrote:
> If you really want to grab an entire instance for quick restore,
> consider using the Point-In-Time-Recovery filesystem snapshot method.
> With checkpoints and WAL logs, there's no downtime.  The pg_basebackup
> tool is the simplest way to get it done.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/continuous-archiving.html#BACKUP-BASE-BACKUP

FWIW I use pg_dumpall as part of a nightly cron job fired off by the
'postgres' user so no permission mangling is needed.  The dump isn't
that large (215MB compressed), and I then rsync that to a different
system.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^