[ale] Network Configuration Help (802.1q, LACP, Cent OS)

Jeff Tillotson jeffx at jeffx.com
Sat Sep 26 19:55:30 EDT 2015

I have a network problem I could use a little assistance with.

I have a Linux host (Cent OS 6) that was two network interfaces em1 and
em2.  The host will communicate on several 802.1q VLANs.

The network port em1 is connected to has the native VLAN of 100.  This
gives us the ability to provision the hardware via PXE.  Before I found out
about the LACP requirement, I was doing fine.  But the 8021Q module needs
to pass the VLAN tag down to the bond in order for LACP to work.  That
makes it so I can no longer communicate on the native VLAN.

The end configuration I would like is em1 to be "split" so that I can still
communicate on the native VLAN but also have the interface in a bond:
    em1 -> native VLAN
    em1(clone) -> bond0
    em2 -> bond0

    bond0 (LACP)
    bond0.200 - VLAN200 traffic
    bond0.300 - VLAN300 traffic

It is the "cloning" of em1 that I'm having difficulty figuring out.

It doesn't seem that I can do something like:
    DEVICE='em1.100'
    VLAN='yes'
because 100 is the native and you can't tag frames with the native VLAN?
The more I read the more I think I was wrong to think I could do this.  Any
tips?

--jeff