[ale] VOID linux, was: Re: Origins of Linux, do we care?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Sep 24 19:12:53 EDT 2015

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 16:47:28 -0400
Paul Cartwright <pbcartwright at gmail.com> wrote:

> Steve,
> that laptop already has linux Mint17 and Windows XP installed on it.
> cfdisk is new to me.. I've used parted, gparted, fdisk..... but not
> cfdisk. partitioning is not new to me, which is why I was amazed that
> it failed for me ;( for "normal" people with an existing system, you
> would think this would just WORK..

I'm new to Void Linux, but I have a hunch that void-installer fails in
some use cases. I think probably originally Void was a chroot install,
and void-installer is fairly new and not yet fully mature.

> I just ran cfdisk on my desktop system, cfdisk /dev/sdb, and that
> looks very much like what I saw on the void installer. not very
> intuitive, I had NO idea what I needed to do! after a few back &
> forths, it seemed that I had what I wanted, my existing /dev/sda2 as
> "/" and /dev/sda5 as /home, but it failed... I am at a loss as to
> what to do. I've never had success with chroot.. again the syntacs
> escapes me..

To get familiar with chroot installs, start by reading (and maybe
following along with):

* http://troubleshooters.com/linux/diy/plopinst.htm

If possible do it as on a Qemu VM guest: Experimentation is *much*
easier on a VM, and you can keep making snapshots so you don't get
bombed back to the stone age.

I have to go out now, but I'll give you more help later.

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust