[ale] VOID linux, was: Re: Origins of Linux, do we care?

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 16:47:28 EDT 2015

On 09/24/2015 03:42 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 19:31:47 -0400
> Paul Cartwright <pbcartwright at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 09/20/2015 12:40 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
>>> Void has really sucky documentation, making it almost impossible to
>>> do it right the first time. So when (notice I don't say if) your
>>> Void install fails to reboot, what you need to do is once again
>>> boot from DVD (or in qemu from a .iso file), mount, chroot, and do
>>> your best to check out your grub.
>> I tried to install the I686 void on my older laptop that is dual-boot
>> XP/Ubuntu. I have an existing /dev/sda2 "/" and /dev/sda5 /home.
>> when I got to the part about void partitioning. I selected sda2, and
>> whether I selected format or not, every time I said OK, it flashed to
>> a terminal window with an LVMetads error... something about it being
>> locked & needed to be restarted.. not sure how I could do that in the
>> middle of the install script.
>> it failed.
> Hi Paul,
>
> First thing I'd check is to try to figure out what partitioning
> software void-installer is using. Then take that same program (probably
> cfdisk) and see how it works outside the environment of void-installer.
> In other words, boot the live DVD and then just run cfdisk /dev/sda2 or
> whatever.
>
> If cfdisk from the command prompt fails in a similar way, try it from
> another live distro (I recommend System Rescue CD). Maybe you have an
> alignment issue or something.
>
> Also, from the error message, I assume you're using LVM. If not, that's
> a hint.
>
> Bottom line though, if void-installer absolutely won't work,
> instructions exist how to chroot install Void. It's not easy, and
> there's some trial and error, but it's doable, and you can use any darn
> partitioning software you want (or simply skip partitioning if you have
> partitions: Just mk2fs them and adjust the chrooted /etc/fstab
> accordingly.
>
> SteveT

Steve,
that laptop already has linux Mint17 and Windows XP installed on it.
cfdisk is new to me.. I've used parted, gparted, fdisk..... but not
cfdisk. partitioning is not new to me, which is why I was amazed that it
failed for me ;( for "normal" people with an existing system, you would
think this would just WORK..
I just ran cfdisk on my desktop system, cfdisk /dev/sdb, and that looks
very much like what I saw on the void installer. not very intuitive, I
had NO idea what I needed to do! after a few back & forths, it seemed
that I had what I wanted, my existing /dev/sda2 as "/" and /dev/sda5 as
/home, but it failed... I am at a loss as to what to do. I've never had
success with chroot.. again the syntacs escapes me..

--
Paul Cartwright