[ale] Needing to cut up server disk space

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 07:17:59 EDT 2015

Software raid performance hit is tiny if you have decent CPU and chipset.
The only benefit hardware raid has is battery backed write back cache.

That said, Dell built the box around that Perc chip. The toolchain for
Linux that controls those perc cards are quite usefull.

LVM is the obvious choice for maximizing partition flexibility. Don't make
all the physical space available at the beginning. It's easier to add to a
partition than to shrink one first.

Filesystem choice is almost a religion. EXT4 is basic and flexible. Btrfs
is the new darling. Zfs is hailed as the next best thing to clean air. XFS
is great but can't be resized smaller.