[ale] Turn-key backup software

Jim Kinney jkinney at jimkinney.us
Mon Sep 21 11:51:27 EDT 2015

Never underestimate the utility of locally controlled, offline backups!
Bacula.
It's a very complicated system but can all be run from a single
machine. It's designed to be a GPL'ed replacement for the proprietary
HP Omniback-like systems. So it supports the ability to restore itself
from it's own backups using a bootable CD image generated periodically
from the runing backup machine itself. It's not required for running
it, but it's a very nice safety-blanket
You can do some nice things for home users as well. It's very
reasonable to use roadwarriors to self-initiate a backup over a VPN
connection. It also supports encrypted backup data with the key NEVER
on the backup server(s) or backed up by the process (unless the folder
storing it is backed up).
It will store onto nearly anything, spinning disk, tape, tape
libraries, optical media, WORM media, etc.
It also has a very well written manual, something rare in the GPL
world. You can also buy commercial support which helps fund more
development.