[ale] Origins of Linux, do we care?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 11:51:00 EDT 2015

On Sep 20, 2015 11:07 AM, "James Sumners" <james.sumners at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 10:09 AM, Solomon Peachy <pizza at shaftnet.org>
wrote:

>> But back to your specific points -- do you really manually type
>> 'hostname blablabla' on the command line to configure your system after
>> every boot, or do you you put it in /etc/hostname and let your distro's
>> scripts set it automatically it automatically on startup?
>>
> No, but in testing RHEL7, simply putting the hostname in /etc/hostname
does not work. You _must_ use hostnamectl to set the hostname.

???
I've not seen this behavior in any of the dozen or so centos7 systems I
have deployed. The system must be rebooted after editing the /etc/hostname
file as that is only read once at boot. Hostnamectl will change that file
and also change the kernel param that stores the hostname. Additionally,
you can use it to set a "pretty" name like "Fred's portable game blaster"
complete with spaces and quotes. I don't know where the pretty name is
stored but it persists across reboots.

It certainly works better than the gnome system tool that takes a FQDN and
replaces the '.' with a '-'. WTF?!?!?