[ale] Origins of Linux, do we care?

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Sun Sep 20 10:09:10 EDT 2015

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 09:39:27AM -0400, James Sumners wrote:
> As for running Debian without systemd, good luck with that. The support for
> alternative inits won't last long for the same reasons Devuan is in limbo.
> And then'll come stuff like hostnamectl and machinectl and whatever else
> systemd decides to gobble up next for no discernible reason.

I'm not so sure about that -- as the old joke goes, when faced with a
choice, Debian inevitably goes with "all of the above".

While I suspect the long-term writing is on the wall, for the forseeable
future the Debian Project has committed to first-class support for
multiple init systems (upstart, sysvinit, systemd, plus the hurd and
kfreebsd inits too).  It will take a full GR vote to change that.

(To be blunt, the latter two are what's responsible for most of the
 pain; the result is a sort of "least common denomination" situation
 where the rest of the distro can't even rely on the presence of glibc
 or the Linux kernel itself, much less features provided by various
 Linux-specific init or configuration tools)

But back to your specific points -- do you really manually type
'hostname blablabla' on the command line to configure your system after
every boot, or do you you put it in /etc/hostname and let your distro's
scripts set it automatically it automatically on startup?

The same goes for machinectl -- its use is largely hidden as an
implementation detail behind existing distro front-end scripts.  If you
were using your distro's config files etc before, nothing changed
afterwards.

Debian's actually an excellent example of backwards-compatibility in
this regard, a direct consequence of their emphasis on seamless upgrades
between major releases.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^