[ale] Origins of Linux, do we care?

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Fri Sep 18 14:24:12 EDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 12:51:54PM -0400, leam hall wrote:
> > It's not much of a history if it was written on July 31, 1992.
>
> It provides insight into original motivations.

I believe the quote "Just for fun" encapsulates Linus's original
motivations. Oh, and not being able to afford a RealUnix(tm) system...

>  Yes. We have a system that's vastly technically superior, highly
> customizable, and provided under  Free Software license. It was also not so
> intrusive, and that is what really bugs me.

Wait -- what are you claiming is "vastly technically superior" here?

> There is the philosophy of "small tools" as a point of elegance. There is
> also the pragmatic requirement of not having to learn a new OS amount of
> stuff to stay on the same OS. There is also the point of lightweight which
> keeps systems zippy. There is also the basic idea of giving you options.

I get that systemd uses a different approach.  But that doesn't
automatically make it bad.

Since you're bringing up the "do one thing, do it well" philosophy, if
you're being honest you'll also measure the alternatives with that same
yardstick.

But let me ask explicitly -- how is systemd's design not "elegant"?  How
is is not a collection of "small tools"?

> Really, I hear nothing about systemd that makes me think it's a good idea.
> When it's so intrusive it definitely becomes a bad idea. Really, from
> usability and morality it is no better than MS.

So.. you're seriously equating software freely released under a copyleft
license (and adopted on its merits) to a completely closed, proprietary
system which gained market share by way of coercive,
proven-in-court-illegal behaivor?

...You sure have a strange definition of "morality".

I really don't care what you use; that's your choice. However, I do care
when opinions are publically justified by vague, hand-waving appeals to
emotion that aren't backed up by anything resembling facts.

You have every right to your own opinions (and choices) -- just not your
own facts.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^