[ale] A Hal Fulton Blog article on CompSci degrees

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Thu Sep 17 16:41:49 EDT 2015

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 04:10:32PM -0400, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> Performance of Rails doesn't matter for most companies. They just don't
> get the traffic.  For internal web-app development I think Ruby and
> rails is extremely productive. A larger, faster server for $10K more is
> cheaper than programming time. I've seen this solution many, many times.
>
> If you are FB, Twitter, Google - that matters, but if you are writing an
> internal app for GA-Power employees, it doesn't.

That reminds me of this essay:

  "Don't use Hadoop -- your data isn't that big"

  https://www.chrisstucchio.com/blog/2013/hadoop_hatred.html

As much as I dislike the "rails" development paradigm, I can't argue
with its programmer productivity, and it is able to scale higher than
most folks/organizations will ever need.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^