[ale] Routers, VRRP, and DHCP

Michael Still stillwaxin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 15:09:19 EDT 2015

This is fairly standard setup it sounds like. You have a dhcp helper config
on both routers so that if one router is dead the other still passes along
the dhcp requests and updates (note that the log should show it from the
router interface IP and not the vrrp IP). Even though its double talk this
is what you want to see on the dhcp server log to indicate that this is
configured correctly.

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 9:11 AM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have an issue where my DHCP traffic, along with logging, is at a minimum
> doubled. This is due to the router configuration. There are two routers, a
> primary and a failover. The failover is handled via VRRP. And that's as
> much as I know about that configuration.
>
> The issue is that both routers are handling DHCPDISCOVER messages, which
> leads to duplicate, simultaneous, conversations. This ends up working in
> that the client gets a single IP and can use it. But I don't like the
> double talk and logging.
>
> Has anyone else dealt with this before? What do you do to resolve the
> issue?
>
> --
> James Sumners
> http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)
> http://jrfom.com/ (personal site)
> http://haplo.bandcamp.com/ (band page)

[stillwaxin at gmail.com ~]$ cat .signature
cat: .signature: No such file or directory
[stillwaxin at gmail.com ~]$