[ale] [Fwd: Advertising on ale.org] - OT MS vs Apple vs Linux/UNIX

Horkan Smith ale at horkan.net
Mon Sep 14 12:51:58 EDT 2015

Jeff (et al), I have no desire to take sides re: systemd, but I couldn't resist the narrative hook you offered or the chance to brag on one of my preferred distros:

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 12:49:42PM +0000, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> How many different kernel choices do you have for your distro?

Currently?  4

https://www.debian.org/ports/

"Debian is an operating system (OS), not a kernel (actually, it is more than an OS since it includes thousands of application programs). Accordingly, while most Debian ports are based on Linux, there also are ports based on the FreeBSD, NetBSD and Hurd kernels."

Of course, I'll admit your life will be much simpler if you happen to choose to run the *Linux* variant of Debian....

later!
   horkan