[ale] new tablet

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Sep 14 10:20:37 EDT 2015

On 09/14/2015 07:50 AM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On 09/14/2015 07:43 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
>> How well does it perform web surfing otherwise? Many sites are dumping
>> everything to the client to do in javascript and the little ARM CPUs
>> are not powerfull enough for heavy compute loads.
> web surfing otherwise?
> not sure I know the difference.. for instance..
> check into a hotel, get the wireless password, call up chrome, but it of
> course hangs trying to get to the last web site.. takes forever to time
> out so I can put in something.. maybe I need to set preferences to open
> a blank web page.. is that possible on a tablet??
> if there are multiple tabs open, and I switch to... anything... then
> back to the browser, it really takes a long time, I guess it is
> refreshing ALL the open tabs?

My limited experience with Chrome is that it never saw a MB of RAM it
didn't want.  On a 1G RAM tablet, that is an issue.

Turning off javascript shouldn't do anything bad for properly designed
websites.  They should gracefully fall-back.  Crappy websites don't do
this - weather.com is one of those.

of data you want and 90KB-5MB of crap you don't want.