[ale] Buy your wifi routers now...

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 13:46:06 EDT 2015

I decided to go with a custom build instead of the NUC --
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ce9uw6ditm8cmrr/2015-09-11_13-35-33.png?dl=0

It's a good bit more expensive, but it gives me some external antenna
connections and a little more expandability. The core component is this MSI
board -- http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z97I-AC.html#hero-specification . I
has the antenna mount built-in to the back panel, and they connect to a
standard (replaceable) Intel 7260 mini-pcie card.

Fun times ahead! :)

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 4:36 PM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com>
wrote:

> http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Next-Unit-Computing-NUC5i3RYK/dp/B00S1ISFOQ
>
> Costs just about as much as a decent 802.11ac consumer router. As far as I
> can tell, the wireless chipset support "AP Mode" in Linux. I'd probably get
> a USB ethernet adapter to connect it to my external network, though. I'd
> use the on-board ethernet for my internal network.
>
> Yeah, I'm thinking this might just be done by the end of the year in my
> house. I'm liking this plan a lot. Plus, I'd actually be able to save my
> bandwidth logs instead of losing them every time my router reboots.
>
> --
James Sumners
http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)
http://jrfom.com/ (personal site)