[ale] [Fwd: Advertising on ale.org] - OT MS vs Apple vs Linux/UNIX

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Thu Sep 10 11:10:37 EDT 2015

On 2015-09-10 07:51, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Jim Kinney <jkinney at jimkinney.us> writes:
>
>> It's got to be better than having systemd foistered on us by RedHat.
>
> This just bit me yesterday; updated a system from F21 to F22 which
> REMOVED syslogd!!  OOPS.  And I was wondering why I didn't get any
> logwatch email!!!  Well, duh, there are no logs anymore!  Stupid systemd
> journal.  WTF are they thinking????  How is this "BETTER"?

This is not going to be good for embedded systems.  Apparently the
journal is a take-it-or-else proposition because the journal consumes
the output of all services.  Disabling the journal means cutting off
logging for services.  The only things I've been able to find are the
storage options and those are awful.  You either have it store to disk
and other programs read and parse the journal logs but not in real time
(this is not good for a small, flash based device like the Raspberry Pi,
that's just harming the flash storage) or you store the logs in memory
and have the other programs parse the memory (again not good for limited
RAM embedded systems).  The only option left is a setting called "none"
which apparently disables the journal entirely but that cuts you off
from all the output from services since the journald is still running
and sucking up the output but it's just dropping it on the floor.

The format of the logs is also different so standard log parsing isn't
going to work either unless you have something pull in the journal and
rewrite it to standard log format.

Third, standard logging programs have no access to the boot logs if you
disable the journal.  Those logs are lost unless you log to an external
logging daemon over the network.

This is all an interpretation of what I read from the journald man page.