[ale] Dropbox, Transporter, Bittorrent Sync, Owncloud, oh my ..

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed Sep 9 13:58:14 EDT 2015

Lots of the network-NAS devices with this capability have backdoors or
other security issues. There was a warning about seagate NAS devices on
Cert last week.

Besides owncloud, seafile is an option. Both really need to only be
available over a VPN, if you care about security. These are the only
choices if you have "end-users" to deal with.

I use rsync. Works over ssh with keys. Proven with decades of use by
millions of people. Clients exist for every platform.
* decide on a "system of record" and only make changes there, if possible.
* setup crontabs to pull from the server, as needed. Once in the morning
works, if I think disconnected access will be needed. In a team
environment, that wouldn't be sufficient.
* when you do need to make local changes, push those to the server ASAP
- before the next push. If you forget, the local file will be newer, so
it won't be over written. In a team, you might get someone elses'
changes after yours.
* because it works over ssh, you can use all the normal ssh tools to
prevent brute-force attacks.

I don't have to be friendly towards other users. ;)