[ale] A history of modern init systems (1992-2015)

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Sep 9 12:28:22 EDT 2015

This is timely!

A history of modern init systems (1992-2015)

http://blog.darknedgy.net/technology/2015/09/05/0/

Covers all the inits mentioned in the recent init thread.

I guess it's no secret that I'm a big fan of daemontools-inspired init
systems. Therefore, I think one of the docs linked in this blog is
*extremely* useful:

http://thedjbway.b0llix.net/daemontools.html

By reading all the article contained in the preceding link, you'll know
exactly what daemontools is, how it works, why it's so good, how to
install it, and how to set up a daemontools service. Once you know
daemontools, daemontools-encore, s6 and runit are all pretty obvious to
you.

Another good link in the blog is:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/daemontools-family.html

The preceding link lists all the major and minor daemontools-inspired
inits and process supervisors.

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust