[ale] systemd talk from July has slide deck online now

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Sep 9 00:45:00 EDT 2015

On Tue, 8 Sep 2015 20:56:42 -0400
James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 8, 2015, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com>
> wrote:
>
> >  http://ewontfix.com/14/
> >

> Truly the best article I have read in a long, long, time. Thank you
> for posting it. I wish the people making decisions at Red Hat,
> Debian, and Arch Linux had read it before they went and destroyed all
> of the distros I care (or have) to run. I would love a distro that
> takes the PID 1 advice in that article and spawns anything that
> resembles Supervisor or probably anything else in your list.

I think *everybody* should assemble their own init, at least once, from
individual pieces, just to get a little bit of a mental model of what
init really is (and isn't). The person who does that will never be the
same.

http://troubleshooters.com/linux/diy/suckless_init_on_plop.htm is an
article in which I actually fulfilled what Rich Felker's article
advocated. I ran RichFelker (and alternately Suckless-Init, which is
very similar) as PID1. RichFelker spawned a shellscript that, with the
aid of some LittKit commands, handed off to daemontools-encore to
handle all services. It was textbook exactly what Rich Felker was
talking about. LittKit is just a few trivial shellscripts, a sort of
Domain Specific Language for daemontools-encore startup ordering.

My article is way too long for anyone not actually performing the steps
as they read the article, so probably the "Introduction" and "The Final
Result" sections are sufficient for an overview.

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust