[ale] Buy your wifi routers now...

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Wed Sep 2 17:12:50 EDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 01:23:22PM -0700, Alex Carver wrote:
> wireless.  I still need to find a single-board system that has dual GigE
> NICs.  I don't want to do Ethernet-over-USB if possible.

GigE PHYs are still relatively power-hungry, and SBCs with dual GigE
ports (and crucially, sufficient oomph to drive them at speed) tend to
still not be cheap because they're targeted at industrial users.

That said, I had a pretty sweet board in-hand nearly ten years ago,
built around an IBM PPC440GX part that did all of that.

This one's the best I found after a cursory search:

 http://www.gateworks.com/product/item/ventana-gw5520-single-board-computer

Dual 800MHz ARM Cortex A9
512M RAM, 256M flash
Dual GigE, MiniPCIe, and USB2.0

All for about $400. Uses about 3W to run, plus whatever you plug into
its ports.

If not for the power consumption downside, I'd say just grab an mini-itx
board.  You can easily get everything you want for under $300 (including
a case/PSU and plenty of storage) and you'll also spare yourself the
headaches from dealing with embedded ARM SBCs.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^