[ale] Buy your wifi routers now...

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Wed Sep 2 16:23:22 EDT 2015

The consumer routers like Linksys/Cisco, DLink, etc. are all monolithic
SoC-based systems.  The firmware controls both the radio and the rest of
the functions.  If and only if the companies split the functions between
two chips (one radio chip and one everything else chip) there would be
no problems with the current ruling.  However that's very unlikely which
means that pushing third-party firmware onto the device would be near
impossible by these rules.

Most likely what I'd end up doing has already been mentioned, a box that
runs wired firewalling/routing/NAT and then an internal AP for the
wireless.  I still need to find a single-board system that has dual GigE
NICs.  I don't want to do Ethernet-over-USB if possible.