[ale] Buy your wifi routers now...

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 14:08:33 EDT 2015

Well this certainly is stupid. However, I recently built my own package of
Toastman's build of Tomato USB because it was easier to build a compile VM
and clone the Git repo than it was to deal with the way he hosts downloads.
After navigating that garbage, and seeing the shocking state of the hack
that is that firmware (I totally blame Linksys), I have no desire to do
that again.

I was already thinking of building a router from a Raspberry Pi, and this
news just solidifies it. Hopefully there is an 802.11c card available for
it that will do monitor mode. If not, maybe soon?

On Wednesday, September 2, 2015, Alex Carver <agcarver+ale at acarver.net>
wrote:

> Buy your wifi routers now before you can't change their firmware:
>

> http://hackaday.com/2015/08/31/fcc-introduces-rules-banning-wifi-router-firmware-modification/
>

> https://apps.fcc.gov/kdb/GetAttachment.html?id=1UiSJRK869RsyQddPi5hpw%3D%3D&desc=594280%20D02%20U-NII%20Device%20Security%20v01r02&tracking_number=39498

James Sumners
http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)