[ale] Backup large files to span DVDs

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 16:42:28 EDT 2015

On Wed, 2015-10-28 at 14:46 -0400, James Sumners wrote:

> I am glad I do not work where you work. Redundancy doesn't imply
> corruption mitigation. And refusing to allow such to be implemented
> because the tool isn't "old" is asinine.

It's not that things are refused because they are new. It's rather they
are refused because they are not yet "well understood" and "mature".
Mil-Spec work is _always_ like that.
Often, there are areas where software is never upgraded or changed
because the systems are never networked. Thus any problem can never be
fixed and the process that machine exists for _MUST_ be up at all
times. So, no "new hotness allowed".  Imagine being stuck in a world
where "new" was RHEL 5.
--
James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.