[ale] Backup large files to span DVDs

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed Oct 28 15:19:20 EDT 2015

Below won't help Alex.  Some environments are locked down and we have to live
with it. I wish more were - like chemical plants, power plants, other control
centers. I understand completely, having deployed one of those.

Getting **any** new code introduced just isn't worth the effort
post-systems-deployment. Places like that are in "the devil we know" mode, which
is completely understandable. Introducing **anything new** into these
environments can break things ... or worse! There are extremely good reasons for
this.

Don't know if parchive is the same code as par2, which I've been using for over
a decade now.

par2 has saved some of my data a few times. Some of the optical media is over a
decade old and only losing a few bits here and there.  Call it "nice to have"
data, not mission critical.
http://blog.jdpfu.com/2011/06/12/optical-data-recovery-technique-with-ddrescue-and-par2
 explains a use to recover almost lost data with assurance that it is the same
as what was archived.  It has a trivial par2 creation script.