[ale] Void Linux Tips

Chad Huneycutt chad.huneycutt at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 11:15:55 EDT 2015

Smaller projects will almost always have faster and more responsive
support.  There are also more bugs.  As the number of users per
maintainer increases -- which will come with a successful project --
expect decreased service.  I'm not sure I would be willing to
professionally take a chance on a new distro until the maintainers
show they are able to cope with success.

- Chad

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 5:19 PM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll add a few bits:
>
> 1) Reported bugs have a high likelihood of being fixed without a bunch of
> bullshit -- https://github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/issues/2665
>
> 2) Missing package requests actually get filled --
> https://github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/issues/2723
>
> 3) Consider switching to ndhc as a DHCP client. Void's base package
> explicitly depends on dhcpcd, so you can't uninstall it. But ndhc is a much
> nicer package.
>
> 4) `ln -s /etc/sv/foobar /var/service/` -- It's shorter
>
> Finally, if you're not happy with the documentation then clone the wiki from
> github.com/voidlinux/wiki , start writing, and send some pull requests. I'm
> sure they'd be happy to have the changes.
>
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 2:56 PM, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> About a month ago, we were discussing Void Linux as a very simple
>> Linux. A week ago I switched my business over to Void Linux and so far
>> I'm very happy.
>>
>> I've created a subsite for Void Linux at:
>>
>> http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/void/
>>
>> Also, there's a whole bunch of handy Void tips at:
>>
>> http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/void/voidtips.htm
>>
>> Hope you like it.
>>
>> SteveT
>>
>> Steve Litt
>> October 2015 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
>> http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive

> James Sumners
> http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)
> http://jrfom.com/ (personal site)