[ale] Void Linux Tips

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Oct 21 18:29:08 EDT 2015

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 17:19:51 -0400
James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll add a few bits:
>
> 1) Reported bugs have a high likelihood of being fixed without a
> bunch of bullshit --
> https://github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/issues/2665

I'll mention that.

> 2) Missing package requests actually get filled --
> https://github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/issues/2723

I'll mention that.

> 3) Consider switching to ndhc as a DHCP client. Void's base package
> explicitly depends on dhcpcd, so you can't uninstall it. But ndhc is
> a much nicer package.

Very, very nice. As usual, the install also installs the runit
directory with a nice, 4 line run file. As soon as I get to one of my
laptops I'm going to unlink dhcpcd and link ndhc and see if I get
leases faster. I understand from reading that ndhc is more secure, too.

Thanks!

SteveT

Steve Litt
October 2015 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive