[ale] lsof and a hung system

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 18:14:17 EDT 2015

So the user notifies me they can do a cd to an nfs mounted directory. I
get on and can't do ls -la on /. there's a trio of cat commands that
are hung and anything that reads data from the drives basically does
nothing. Nothing is running but the load average is 20 and not
changing. So I try to kill the cat's and unmount the nfs folder.  No
work. Dang! what else is open? run lsof. Nothing happens.
I'm expecting all sorts of file system errors when after I press the
reset switch. A sync command just hangs. dmesg shows user space
applications segfaults all over the the place. So the (very new) user
would just run it again. I've got a zombie collection that The Walking
Dead would call a "herd".
--
James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.