[ale] Ubuntu in Oracle's VirtualBox (not)

Horkan Smith ale at horkan.net
Thu Oct 15 12:49:05 EDT 2015

John, which way?  I've had success running Ubuntu both in KVM/QEMU and as an alternate partition on a laptop.

Running it in KVM/QEMU is simpler than a separate partition, and I believe that it should be similar to using VirtualBox.

If you're installing via VirtualBox or KVM, and you're absolutely sure you're running in the VM, it's safe to let it get installed to /dev/sda 'cause that's the virtualized /dev/sda, not the real one.

Damon's suggestion to add two virtual disks is an excellent suggestion.  Another way is to look at the current partitions listed as you do the install - a new VM won't have any, but your host system will have it's main OS already installed.

Let me know if you really want to run it as a multi-boot.  It's do-able, but a bit of a pain.