[ale] Text compiler

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Sun Oct 11 10:56:23 EDT 2015

I used to use awk and perl for this kind of thing, and it's worth
mentioning that server side includes (SSI) do this.

These days, though, I'd use jinja2 or another templating library. I have
successfully used jinja2 to generate text other than HTML, including MS
rich text format documents and LaTeX documents.

Using m4 is fun for historical reasons. The configuration of sendmail was
done by generating the config files from m4 sources. The configure script
that autoconf makes is also generated using m4, I believe.