[ale] Semi Ot: email to sms

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Fri Oct 9 08:43:51 EDT 2015

Coincidentally I just finished up a project using fetchmail and procmail to get Office365 email attachments at command line.

The write up at the link below should give you ideas on how to extract the emails using those tools:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/blog/mensawater-183304/cli-to-get-oracle-supply-network-email-attachments-36724/

If you're doing a local Exchange server rather than Office365 your fetchmail setup would need to point to your local Exchange server.

I saw mention of metamail and uudeview for getting attachments but didn't try either.   The unmime.pl Perl script mentioned in the above extracts both attachments and bodies.   It should be fairly simple to write a script that sends the extracted body into mail.

We send a fair amount of TXT messages simply by using mailx to send email to defined phone numbers.   Some of the providers (e.g. AT&T) might block you if you're doing a high volume that way so you might have to have your own SMS gateway.  It wasn't clear from original question if you already have that.