[ale] Is there a system to encourage using styles?

Tom Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sun Oct 4 10:38:56 EDT 2015

Thank you Jim.

I've got the liberation fonts so that is a largely solved problem at this
time. It is the use/disuse of styles and other structured elements that is
currently "bugging" me. And as you note: a huge portion of users places
things with returns and tabs, and adds font effects/changes as specific
font effects on specific characters. And a fair percentage of the
individuals who do so have had one or more "computer literacy" courses
which specifically include the use of MS Word. My guess is that we may
agree that there is sufficient guilt to go around on this: MS for making
styles/templates harder to find, educators (me) who don't/can't hew to
best practices or find ways to trick students into finding deeper
solutions, and individuals just interested in getting by ("get the job
done").

I still wonder if Libreoffice can be skinned or adapted some way to
largely hide access to any appearance of direct changes.

I will need to look again at Abiword. Last time I looked, I completely
lacked the time to work on early levels of mastery to achieve the effects
I needed. Thanks for the nudge and push...

Now to put some Hendrix on, followed by Stravinsky, and maybe Burrito
Brothers and get some papers graded...

Thank you to one and all for the use of your bandwidth.