[ale] Systemd and cygwin

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 08:50:12 EST 2015

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 7:25 AM, Michael Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

> Systemd is an optional dependency of GNOME.

Not when the distribution makes it a hard dependency. I do not give a shit
if building GNOME on my own does not require systemd, neither does anyone
else. It's the way distributions package the DE that make it an issue.

> And it makes higher level management easier.
>
> I am sick of the bullshit ignorance here and everywhere on this. It's a
> damned useful tool which simplifies many tasks all across the IT board.
>
> Show me another system where with nothing more than an extra keyboard and
> mouse and monitor, and one single command, one workstation can become two.

Not something I need, basically ever. So why would I want it present on
every single system?

> Show me one use case where logging more information with additional
> security controls available is bad.

Show me how those logs can be read with a simple pager. From a different
system. That doesn't use systemd.

> Remind me again why reducing several code paths into one more easily
> maintained one is bad?

Because: do one thing and do it well.

> And why is a simple config file harder for you than a turing complete
> shell script? Do you hate the 1kb reduction per executable to eliminate the
> double fork tty disassociation hokey pokey, too? Or the consolidation of
> common functionality in now nearly universal shared objects?

Nowhere in my response did I say a replacement to SysV wasn't needed.

> Nah. Don't waste the time. I won't have the give a fuck to read it anyway.
> If you want to walk uphill both ways to work in six inches of snow, don't
> use a major, audited, supported distribution in your work. Simple.

And I don't have the fuck to give about generally any of your bullshit.

> > On Nov 17, 2015, at 12:34 PM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > No, I think it is a project that was started by someone who has a
> fundamental misunderstanding of the ecosystem and its adoption a thing of
> bewilderment. If it weren't for udev, and whatever the hell part of systemd
> that GNOME depends upon, I don't think it would be where it is today.

James Sumners
http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)
http://jrfom.com/ (personal site)
http://haplo.bandcamp.com/ (band page)