[ale] Systemd and cygwin

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 12:34:24 EST 2015

I cannot stand systemd. I think it is an atrocity. However, I don't see
limiting systems to per seat licenses as a driving force behind it. Sure,
RH _could_ do that, and probably much easier with systemd, but they could
have been doing it all along as well.

No, I think it is a project that was started by someone who has a
fundamental misunderstanding of the ecosystem and its adoption a thing of
bewilderment. If it weren't for udev, and whatever the hell part of systemd
that GNOME depends upon, I don't think it would be where it is today.

On Tuesday, November 17, 2015, Alex Carver <agcarver+ale at acarver.net> wrote:

> This bit just popped up on the cygwin mailing list recently (the "same
> thing" is referring to the Microsoft and Apple One user, one license
> model for programs that were traditionally single machine operations
> like word processing instead of shared server applications that now use
> seats.)
>
> "    The recent push to convert linux to use systemd -- is all about
> reducing the functionality of linux to require the same thing -- so
> 1 system monitor (systemd) can keep track of how many users are
> using "licensed seats" --- so vendors can force you to pay 10-100
> times for the same program.  It's also about locking down linux so
> that you can't easily your own programs to get around such licensing
> mechanisms (you'd have to "jailbreak" your computer -- as is done
> with smartphones these days, to allow you to run what you want on
> your own computer)."

James Sumners
http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)
http://jrfom.com/ (personal site)