[ale] Serious: Comcast Business vs Residential

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Fri Nov 13 12:42:05 EST 2015

On 11/13/2015 11:57 AM, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> The only reason to sign up for Comcast VoIP is to get the best possible
> connection from their post/box to your home. Cancel after 30 days.

I'm actually in the process of switching away from Comcast to Uverse
specifically for line quality.  While I didn't have Comcast's voice
service, my neighbors in the business complex did, for years, and
dropouts and bandwidth problems have been endemic.  For the whole
complex.  We're definitely red-headed step-children in this spot.

> Honestly, Comcast VoIP was better than some other providers, but voip.ms has
> been great, provided QoS works on your network and the ISP connection is solid.
> Don't assume your ISP connection is solid without constant monitoring for a few
> months. I think you'd be surprised at how often it drops - which means ZERO calls.
>
> I have a wholesale pay-at-you-go too.  $5/month.  1 ATA - a HandyTone HT-502
> with a Uniden 6-node phone system. Haven't touched anything about this system in
> 5-10 years (I honestly don't remember). It just works. Only 1 line, but adding
> another would be $5/month more and no equipment change needed.  Free inbound
> calls, which can make all calls free through a call-back service ...
> google-voice, for example. Outbound calls aren't expensive and I don't even
> think about the costs.

I'll have to take a look at voip.ms.  They might have a combo that's a
better fit for me.  But I've been quite happy with teliax for the past
couple of years.  Just works.