[ale] Serious: Comcast Business vs Residential

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri Nov 13 11:57:42 EST 2015

On 11/13/2015 09:14 AM, Phil Turmel wrote:
> On 11/12/2015 10:19 PM, Alex Carver wrote:
>> Static vs. dynamic IPs are one thing but the VoIP is entirely another.
>> I don't know if they would allow your own device for the ATA.  Many
>> cable providers that I've used or experienced give out two boxes, one
>> for the ethernet and one for the ATA (in one place I had an Arris for
>> the ATA to run my phones and an SMC for the ethernet even though both
>> boxes had dual functionality).
>
> I skipped the Comcast voice package and run my own asterisk server.
> With a wholesale pay-as-I-go plan, I average $10 - $15 /month.  The
> trunk is good for up to ten (10) simultaneous calls.  I have cheap
> Grandstream phones as extensions.

The only reason to sign up for Comcast VoIP is to get the best possible
connection from their post/box to your home. Cancel after 30 days.

Honestly, Comcast VoIP was better than some other providers, but voip.ms has
been great, provided QoS works on your network and the ISP connection is solid.
Don't assume your ISP connection is solid without constant monitoring for a few
months. I think you'd be surprised at how often it drops - which means ZERO calls.

I have a wholesale pay-at-you-go too.  $5/month.  1 ATA - a HandyTone HT-502
with a Uniden 6-node phone system. Haven't touched anything about this system in
5-10 years (I honestly don't remember). It just works. Only 1 line, but adding
another would be $5/month more and no equipment change needed.  Free inbound
calls, which can make all calls free through a call-back service ...
google-voice, for example. Outbound calls aren't expensive and I don't even
think about the costs.