[ale] Serious: Comcast Business vs Residential

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed Nov 11 12:00:12 EST 2015

About every year a similar question comes up. I on't think anything has
changed in my area in 5+ years related to comcast internet. Check the
email-list-archives for those old posts.

I had both residential and business service from Comcast together for
about 3 months.

Residential was cheaper for more speed and TV was possible. However, the
connection VoIP would drop every Thursday afternoon for about an hour.

With business, I have to have their equipment probably due to subneting
of the static IP range.  I have a look-don't-touch login to their
router, which I treat as a bridge-gateway only.  My router grabs the
subnet and keeps comcast of my internal network. No TV allowed.

There are 2 lines to my house. 1 for residential, 1 for business.

If you want the best connection possible, get their phone service for a
month. VoIP requires much tighter specs than TV or internet, and I've
had techs spend 3 hrs trying to get it working within spec.  My internet
speeds improved greatly.  Cancel before the 30-day trial ends.

I don't know the physical connections from the box in my yard back to
the plant, but with business, I always get at least the bandwidth I pay
for. They must reserve it on the infrastructure for that to work. Not
hard with QoS today.  With residential, it is best attempt, that is clear.

So ... if you don't want to stream in the evenings when the rest of your
neighbors stream and game, get residential. Otherwise, get business and
pay the 90-120% more for service.

Your neighborhood might be different. Mine has ADSL 2+/u-verse and I can
pay comcast $$$$ and get 1Gbps service.