[ale] Topic ideas for November meeting

Damon L Chesser damon at damtek.com
Thu Nov 5 15:48:36 EST 2015

I use LVM at every opportunity.  I also frequently use it in conjunction
with an encrypted HD/partition (on my personal computers) thusly:

HD

    boot partition

      LUKS encryption

             LV with swap/root/home

Been doing that for years.  Never had a problem.

Never had a problem with just LVM at work.

The science on LVM is settled.  It is time for LVM deniers to  face reality.

OTOH, I have lately been questioning the usefulness of that extra layer
of complexity.

I could do the exact same thing thus:

HD

     boot partition

         LUKS encryption

                 ext (or what have you) with a swap /file/.

You would lose EASY re-size ability (ie, shrink partition foo, grow
partition bar, room problem solved, assuming bar was not used much and
foo only needed the extra room bar had).  BUT (<- large but) I have
NEVER had to do that with my personal machines.  I also never like to
carve them up into seperate /, /home, /var, etc as that is of small
value for a personal computer.  It has always been easier to make a /
and put home in there.  It makes sizing guesses easier to deal with.
yeah, LVM is cool, but on a personal level, I have never been able to
take advantage of it, but I have had to take the time and resources
(even though they are minimal, they are real) to run LVM.  Before this
thread started, I started to ask "why?".

As for the back ups, back up /home on an external drive using rsync.
Restore using rsync after I re-size with either a live cd or a
re-install.  Normally done when I get tired of Fedora and re-install
ubunut/debian/sabayon/whatever until I want to try Fedora again.

none of the above comes into play on work servers.  The science on LVM
is settled then.  resizing with LVM has saved me many, many times from a
backup/restore, even on vms (add a disk, LVM grow the problem file
system).  Ugly, but expedient.  keep it limping until you can get rid of
the "one off" mulit-disk vm with a proper size vm disk IAW work schedules.

HTH and my tongue in cheek is /not/ taken seriously.

Damon