[ale] Topic ideas for November meeting

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Wed Nov 4 14:06:19 EST 2015

On 11/04/2015 01:15 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Nov 2015 13:17:57 +0000
> "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner at dsservices.com> wrote:
>

>> With LVM:
>> a)  You can resize individual LVs without adjusting other LVs
>> (assuming you have free space).
>
> In many use cases you can do this by making a new partition on free
> space and mounting, or bind-mounting from a different, uncrowded
> partition, into the overcrowded partition's tree.
>
>> b)  You can add new PVs to extend the
>> size of the VG without having to redo anything.
>
> In many use cases, you can buy and carve up an additional new disk, and
> use mounts or bind-mounts to add space to overcrowded trees.

In my experience, splitting the storage demand into a new folder
location simply hasn't been available, or would have required a lots of
service downtime for data movement and reconfiguration.  Runaway log
files, growing databases, app upgrades that won't fit in the original
root FS -- not solvable with space in a new mount point.

LVM solves real problems.  And it can also solve problems your way,
making new volumes for new mount points, too.  I highly recommend it for
all bare-metal systems -- servers, workstations, laptops.  It's the
Leatherman for Linux.

Phil