[ale] Topic ideas for November meeting

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Nov 4 13:15:11 EST 2015

On Tue, 3 Nov 2015 13:17:57 +0000
"Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner at dsservices.com> wrote:

> With LVM:
> a)  You can resize individual LVs without adjusting other LVs
> (assuming you have free space).

In many use cases you can do this by making a new partition on free
space and mounting, or bind-mounting from a different, uncrowded
partition, into the overcrowded partition's tree.

> b)  You can add new PVs to extend the
> size of the VG without having to redo anything.

In many use cases, you can buy and carve up an additional new disk, and
use mounts or bind-mounts to add space to overcrowded trees.

Now I'll be the first to admit that if you keep on, month after month,
year after year, relieving overcrowding with new mounts, your directory
hierarchy will end up utter spaghetti, and I would never permanently
depend on stuff like that. But if I know in a year I'll be buying a
bigger disk or fresh-installing my OS, I very well might use these
techniques, and then recalculate my partitioning needs when my entire
system gets a "spring cleaning."

Speaking of bind mounts, bind mounts are an excellent tool to use for
all that crap the defaults to using your home directory. Like cache
files. And Virtual Box default image directory. And probably
even ~/Downloads (I hadn't thought of that til just now). I have a
gigantic, catch-all partition mounted to /scratch, with plenty of
space, and I sometimes bind-mount directories under /scratch to
specific directories under /home/slitt. This makes it much easier to
predict my needs in /home/slitt.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist