[ale] Topic ideas for November meeting

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Tue Nov 3 11:00:57 EST 2015

In general I was talking about internal drives.   Many of our servers come in with more than we need for the OS and some applications which is usually all we really want on the internal drives.

Attached disk storage is done (mostly) on requested need.

There was a recent discussion about turning on oversubscription capabilities of our disk array but I suggested strongly this was a bad idea.   "They" have a tendency to "use" all storage allocated to a server to "save" information that somehow they can never get rid of when filesystems fill up unless they have to buy more space at which point they can they can magically do without it.   We'd end up filling the disk array in a hurry if we allowed oversubscription in my view because no one would ever feel the need to delete anything and we'd then get into arguments about what "saved" data is most important.

Sometimes technology introduces rather than solves problems.