[ale] ot: cpu laptop

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 13:29:50 EDT 2015

Ouch.

AMD is not doing well. After kicking Intel in the teeth a decade ago
with the Opteron they ran into build issues, stumbled, and have never
recovered their momentum. They still don't have a PCIe v.3 capable
chipset. It's been 4+ years since PCIe v.3 came out. That alone will
kill them in the server market.

Their consumer cpu's are still a better bang for buck line-up than Intel
but they can't sell enough of what looks like last year's technology to
the gamer crowd or the business box buyer.

I don't expect to see them around in 2020 and that will be a bad thing.