[ale] 2 wifi issues

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sun Mar 22 15:05:55 EDT 2015

It's most likely a combination of security settings, driver issues (on
both the Win 7 and the tablet) and the access point and getting to the
bottom of it will just make you tear your hair out.

I have an old Linksys WRT54G (version 1.1) running OpenWRT.  For a while
everything worked fine.  Then I changed the settings on a Debian laptop
with a Linksys PCMCIA wireless card and my Samsung S4 phone to increase
the key strength (with matching key on the AP).  Suddenly, anytime the
laptop was on for an extended period of time, it would cause the router
to reboot.  I could leave the S4 on wifi (plugged in of course) all day
and night with no trouble but if the laptop stayed up for longer than
about 10 hours (also plugged in) the router would die and reboot while
the laptop would show tons of errors in the logs (usually during group
rekeying there would be a random disconnect event, enough of those would
end up blowing out the router).

I brought up an old Meraki Mini also with OpenWRT to act as an access
point and moved the laptop to it.  After that the router stopped
crashing (the S4 still uses the Linksys router) and the laptop no longer
has issues.