[ale] KVM, the vm install on SLES and the port issues

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed Mar 11 02:12:20 EDT 2015

I don't know anything about SLES ... or default firewall rules on it.

Why not use virt-manager when you are just starting? It will help you create,
start, stop, manage VMs with a GUI that can be accesses over an ssh tunnel from
anywhere in the world.

Run virt-manager from any Linux desktop to control any libvirt supported
hypervisor local or remote and to get console access. Console access may be a
GUI as well - the GUI session will be tunnelled thru ssh.

On 03/10/2015 08:54 PM, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
> Friends:
>
> I installed KVM on SLES 11SP3.  I then tried to create a VM with KVM.  The host
> ip is 25.16.214.41
>
>     vm-install --os-type "other" --name "ASB_CD_VM1" --vcpus 2 --memory 3072
>     --max-memory 3072 --disk
>     /var/lib/kvm/images/ASB_CD_VM1/hda,0,disk,w,21000,sparse=0 --disk
>     /tmp/SLES11SP2_.x86_64-0.0.3.install.iso,1,cdrom --nic
>     mac=52:54:00:05:11:11,model=virtio --graphics cirrus --config-dir
>     "/etc/libvirt/qemu"
>

>  It starts the VM creation but then I see this error.
>
>         Preparing to start the installation...
>

>         Installing...
>

>         Failed to display the VM's console because DISPLAY is not set.  Please
>         connect a VNC viewer to localhost:5900.
>

> It says that I should be able to connect to port number 5900 using vnc.  I went
> to my windows box and used  vncviewer
> vncviewer 25.16.214.41
>
> However I get connection refused.
>
> I did the following.
>
> I see
> virtual at chris-adp-sec:~> telnet localhost 5900
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> RFB 003.008
>
> but if I type
> roselcdv0068958:~ nlakshmi$ telnet 25.16.214.41 5900
> Trying 25.16.214.41...
> telnet: connect to address 25.16.214.41 <http://25.16.214.41>: Connection refused
> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
>
> So the VM install cannot be seen or interacted with, this is causing issues.
>
> My host machine is also a SLES 11SP3 but does not have a display aka 'X' on it
> so I have to use vm-install to install but I have to connect to the console
> using VNC but port is not exposed to outside the machine.
>
> Can you folks help and suggest any ideas ?
>
> -N

Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media centers, and
servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT professionals.