[ale] Recommendations for my next distro?

LnxGnome lnxgnome at hopnet.net
Sun Mar 1 12:18:51 EST 2015

Hi Edward,

I recently changed distros for my desktop.  I'm now using Fedora 21
(Gnome).  It's really my first time using Fedora for an extended period,
and I'm liking it pretty well.

I had been using OpenSuSE for many years (14ish).  I tried updating from
12.3 to 13.2, and wound up with an unbootable system, due to a) using
fakeraid/striping for my boot disks, and b) bugs related to that in the
init that prevents it from mounting /.  I might try 13.3 again when it
comes out, but 13.2 is DOA as far as I'm concerned.

Before moving to Fedora, I tried Ubuntu's last Desktop LTS and the
latest Linux Mint.  Both have problems similar to OpenSuSE (but not
identical) with fakeraid/striping.  However, they will fail to mount /
even when installed on a standalone disk, if a striped/fakeraid disk set
exists on the system.  That's fubar.

So, next was CentOS7.  It just isn't ready for prime-time as a desktop
OS yet (compared to CentOS6 or OpenSuSE).

That left me looking at Slackware and Fedora.  I picked Fedora for "ease
of use" (with many memories of installing Slackware from a stack of 23
floppy disks....), and almost three weeks later, I'm still using it.

Disclaimer: for the past year, my other desktop has been a mac with OS X
10 (code named "redundant").  I have CentOS 6 on most of my servers,
with a couple running Oracle EL6 and OVM3.

--LnxGnome