[ale] Comcast Business service

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Sat Jun 13 09:16:08 EDT 2015

On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 12:11:22AM -0400, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
>     I'm looking to move my residential class service to business class
> so I can get static IP and host a server or three from here without the
> inbound port blockages. Curious of anyone who has their business class
> service currently/recently as my existing modem is listed on their
> device info as approved for the business level service I'm looking at

I've had Comcast Business for the past two or so years (down in South
Florida, but I believe their policies and pricing are national)

It's expensive -- With a single static IP, I spend nearly double what
equivalent residential performance costs.  For that price, as well as a
supposedly uncapped and completely unfiltered pipe you technically get
two static IP addresses, one that you'd use with your server, and the
other is used by the modem to provide NAT service for a private subnet.

(It's hard to explain -- the modem has four ports, if you use DHCP
you'll get a private address that's NATted via the second IP address,
but if you configure a system to use the assigned static address,
everything to and from that IP will just pass through.  It's completly
unfiltered)

It's also fully IPv6 enabled, with a static /64 subnet that was turned
on at some point -- But I've been using an IPv6 tunnel from Hurricane
Electric, so haven't bothered to change everything over.

However, if you opt for a static ip address package, you *MUST* use
their equipment, which effectively doubles the price of the static IP
option -- I learned this the hard way, and my otherwise-fully-apprived
Moto SB6141 is just gathering dust.

I have the "deluxe 25" service (25/10) and with the static IP offering I
write a check for $143.63.  That price also also includes hosted
Exchange email and some sort of web hosting, plus Outlook, Sharepoint,
and Norton Security as bundled software offerings.  (Not that I think
anyone here would care about that stuff.  Personally I wish they'd drop
that and just charge me less...)

Price aside, I'm pretty happy with the service.  Their business
customers get much better support (both in overall clue level and
response time) than the residential accounts.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^