[ale] New hard drive procedure

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 20:54:25 EDT 2015

On Sat, 2015-06-06 at 20:37 -0400, Dev Null wrote:
> On Sat, June 6, 2015 20:32, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> > I plug it in and use it, but setup backups immediately.  I've had a
> > few
> > drives
> > die in the first week.
> >
> > Then a few 1TB+ seagates died just after the warranty ended. Older,
> > smaller,
> > seagates were good drives - still have a few 320G spinning - almost
> > 8 yrs
> > now -
> > only used as portable, backup, storage now. Took them out of
> > "production
> > use" in
> > yr 6.
> >
> > Of course, there is a huge quality difference between SAS drives
> > and the
> > crap
> > consumers are sold. I suspect Jim was installing SAS into those
> > arrays.
> >
> > These days, I buy 2 drives at a time - 1 for primary, the other for
> > backups.
> > Just makes life easier.
> >

> Thanks for the responses, DJ and Jim. The reason I ask for a specific
> procedure is I have kind of an odd setup. I'm replacing a hard drive
> for
> an ESXi "server"--really just a repurposed laptop. Unfortunately,
> ESXi
> doesn't have SMART in version 5.0. I only found about the bad sectors
> when
> I took the box down for maintenance.
>
> What would you all do if you didn't have constant access to SMART
> monitoring (clearly not ideal, but I still ask)?
I would develop a tremendous capability with the backup tool of choice.
I would also migrate as rapidly as possible to Ovirt. At least then I
can run a full Linux toolchain on all my nodes and not some hyper
-limited one chosen for me by others.

--
James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.